How Little Things Make You Happy

How many times have you heard someone tell you that it’s the little things in life that matter the most? Probably more times than you can count; in fact you’ve probably said the same thing to others several times. So what are these little things? Not surprisingly these little things are different for every person and they have the power to turn anyone’s frown upside down.

Image Source: everythingsjustpeachy


There is so much negativity in the world around us, so much mistrust, judgement, ego, disgust and willingness to hurt others that the smallest of joys can seem like a silver lining. If you spend a little time figuring out what these little things are you can make everyday a little more cheerful.

What Are These Little Things?


Like with all great things this too must start from your own self, let me elucidate (This will sound like I’m telling you my daily routine but bear with me) so yes... I like to drink roughly half a litre of water the moment I wake up. I really appreciate anyone who brings me a cup of luke warm coffee with 2 big spoons of sugar or a glass of wine almost any time of the day.

I like to wash my face with this very specific face wash- it has menthol or something that makes my face feel cold and fresh.  I like to make my own bed, somehow spending the first few minutes of the day folding my blanket and patting down my pillow makes me feel good. I and only I know these things about myself and you must consciously identify such things about yourself. Because to treat yourself right you must first understand you self deeply.

What’s The Use Of This Knowledge of Self?


You see, we all integrate certain habits into our routine and we don’t realize how important those little things become for us. It could be where you keep your phone, the bottle you drink water from- there is something you want exactly the way you like it. I’m not saying you obsess over it just that you prefer it. Once you’ve identified these habits it’s easy to find other small habits that you could add to your routine to feel happier. For example, if I have a really shitty day I like to pour myself some red wine and sit near the plants on my patio. Alternatively, I enjoy a good long bike ride or some good writing time to help clear my head. 

These aren’t things I do every single day but, I have a mental list of such things to fall back on when I’m feeling particularly low or just plain bored. Once you know yourself enough to cheer yourself up you will sense a new kind of liberation. If you already know what makes you feel good you don’t have to overthink and stress in a situation where your mind is already burdened with a million thoughts.

Do Little Things For Others


We’ve all heard about the “Joy of giving” and trust me on the surface it sounds extremely stupid. I mean why would giving something to another person feel good right? But we all know that for some reason... it does, more so if we care about the person. What actually makes us feel good though isn’t our act of goodness but the response it garners. You can’t always make a grand gesture unless you’re a millionaire but this is where the little things matter.

We get so used to the people we love that we stop judging them but, sometimes we also stop noticing obvious signs of what they like and dislike. Observe the little things and make a mental note of what matters to those you care about. I for one am a sucker for surprises- the more elaborate the better. Some people place effort above material things (Not me, I’m a greedy bugger I want a surprise and a flashy gift).

Similarly, some people like a loud Friday night, while others like to sit over drinks and have a casual chat with friends. Find out what the people you care about, really care about and use that knowledge to make them happy. Because THAT is going to make you happy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Reasons To Go Watch Trapped

SHORT STORY: STORY OF THEIR LIFE

DELHI VERSUS MUMBAI- THE WAY I SEE IT!

8 Tips For A Happier Relationship

What Happens When You Chase Your Dreams?